Grammy-nominated composer Mehmet Ali Sanlıkol presents ground-breaking jazz orchestra and trio music steeped in Middle Eastern cadences that draw from Turkish, mystical Sufi rituals, Sephardic Jewish musical elements, and more. In this double album release event, first Sanlıkol and his trio will perform “An Elegant Ritual” followed by “The Rise Up,” an extended epic composition for jazz orchestra commissioned by NEA Jazz Master saxophonist Dave Liebman. While “An Elegant Ritual” is structured after the Turkish (whirling dervish) Sufi rituals and John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme,” “The Rise Up” features jazz icon Dave Liebman along with traditional Turkish instruments and voices. The 25-piece orchestra will be conducted by Ken Schaphorst, chair of the Jazz department at New England Conservatory.
HEALTH AND SAFETY PROTOCOLS: Please note that any member of the public attending a live ticketed event at Berklee will be required to provide the following:
1) Government-issued photo ID
and one of the following:
2) One form of COVID-related documentation:
- Proof of full vaccination (two weeks after the second of a two-shot vaccine, or the first of a one-shot vaccine)
- proof of a negative PCR test (taken within 72 hours of the event) or a rapid antigen test (taken within 24 hours of the event).
- You may provide these documents in physical/paper form, by photocopy, or a photo on your phone, as long as all information is clearly visible and readable. Photos of at-home tests must be time-stamped.